DerwentWISE are recruiting Derwent Valley Heritage Way Volunteer Auditors to help us carry out an accessibility audit along the Heritage Way trail.
The first phase is to undertake an access audit of the 10 stages of the Heritage Way, from Lady Bower to Derby City. We are seeking up to 7 committed, local volunteers to carry this out. This will include recording detail such as gradient and surface of the trail, signage, seating, toilet locations, gateways and stiles. Accessible Derbyshire will provide the required training, audit paperwork and help interpret the information gathered. This will enable us to share better pre-visit information for visitors, to enable more people to make informed choices about where and how they can access the Way. This information and maps will be put online, and we’ll also seek opportunities for local groups along the Way to get involved in making simple improvements such as scrub clearing, basic repairs and replacing way markers.
Responsible to: Jo Wheeler – Community Engagement Officer
Time Commitment: 1 day’s training on Saturday 27th May 10 – 4.30pm plus 3 days auditing between June – August 2017
Closing Date: Friday 28th April 2017
The DerwentWISE scheme works to inspire people to access, learn about and take care of the natural and cultural heritage of the Lower Derwent Valley. For this project we’re working in partnership with Accessible Derbyshire, Derbyshire County Council and the Derwent Valley Trust to improve access to the Derwent Valley Heritage Way.
- Attend the Auditing for Access training day
- Undertake a self-led access audit of 1 or 2 of the 10 stages of the Way (the longest stage is 7.4 miles, the shortest 4 miles)
Skills / Qualities Required
- Ability to negotiate stiles and uneven surfaces, observe and record detailed, written information
- Ability and willingness to follow instructions
- Full training will be given by Accessible Derbyshire, you must be available to attend on Saturday 27th May 10-4.30pm, with additional support from the DerwentWISE team
- Travel expenses can be claimed, please hand in all travel receipts. Car travel can be reimbursed at a rate of 25p per mile.
- You will need to wear suitable clothing for walking, including waterproofs and stout shoes. DerwentWISE will provide all other equipment.
Please send an email to Jo Wheeler at DerwentWISE email@example.com letting us know why you’re interested in this role by Friday 28th April 2017.