FREE Teachers Workshop: Legacy Makers: Children of the Derwent Valley
Heritage resources for schools.
Help to shape teaching resources relating to 18th and 19th century children working in cotton spinning mills and enslaved African children who cultivated cotton.
Derbyshire Environmental Studies Service and the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site are supporting this Legacy Makers project. Teachers are invited to take part in a one hour online workshop on Thursday 25th November 4-5pm to help shape the future of the resources being developed.
Legacy Makers is a Heritage project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund by Bright Ideas, Nottingham. The project is developing a set of learning resources focused on the experience of children living in, or linked to, the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site during the time that the cotton spinning mills were in operation in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The resources will explore the lived experience of:
- Children working in cotton spinning mills
- The children of mill owners
- Enslaved African children who cultivated the raw cotton used by the mills
- Free African children
The resources aim to explore what freedom means and will encourage students to evaluate their own freedom.
The resources are in the development stage and we would welcome your input to discover:
- The key messages to include
- The challenges you might have using the resources in schools
- The challenges of talking about enslavement and child labour
At the end of the session, we hope to:
- Raise your awareness of the different models of child labour linked to the Derwent Valley from a historical perspective
- Use your feedback to help shape the content of the final learning resources
To join the session on Thursday 25th November from 4-5pm please click the link below to join virtually on Microsoft Teams. Please do share amongst your teacher colleagues and networks and we look forward to seeing you then.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Click here to join the meeting
Learn More | Meeting options