The Gothic Warehouse, Wheatcroft’s Wharf Cafe and The Counting House Coffee Stop are located at Cromford Wharf, the historic terminus of the Cromford Canal. It is close to Cromford Mills and a short level walk away from High Peak Junction and Leawood Pumphouse. The Gothic Warehouse was originally built in 1794 for Wheatcroft, the principal canal carrier at the time. It would have been used to store goods bought or being transported along the canal. Today it is an event and conference venue. Wheatcroft’s Wharf, which was also part of the complex, is now a thriving, canal-side cafe. The Counting House now offers takeaway drinks and snacks. It is a recent addition and so was not included in the accessibility audit.
General Accessibility Information
- 4-5% of total parking spaces are accessible and the car park surface is solid and level.
- There is level access to Wheatcroft’s Wharf café.
- The Gothic Warehouse has two uneven steps at the entrance, but has an alternative wheelchair entrance.
- First aid kits are available in both venues.
- Assistance dogs are welcome throughout, with dog bowls available. Dogs are welcome on the ground floor of the café.
- Variety of seating throughout both sites.
- The ground level toilet in the Gothic Warehouse is large, but is not designated accessible.
- There is a toilet on the first floor at the café, which is not accessible.
- The nearest Changing Places toilet is in the car park at Cromford Wharf.
- Table service is available in Wheatcroft’s Wharf café on request and tables can be reserved.
- A variety of dietary requirements are catered for.
- The menu is written in large print on chalk boards at the back of the counter.
- Table heights inside are 720mm to the underside, easy for wheelchair users to pull underneath.
- The tables outside are 690mm high which is 10mm below the minimum required level for wheelchair use.
- There is flexible furniture in the café but the furniture outside is fixed picnic tables.
- Seat cushions and blankets are available for visitors sitting outside.
For the most up-to-date information and contact details, please visit
Cromford Mills website