Located in the market town of Belper, Strutt’s North Mill sits at the heart of the UNESCO Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site which is recognised as the birthplace of the modern-day factory system. The current Strutt’s North Mill was built in 1804 following the loss of the original Mill on the site due to fire in 1803. The new Mill boasted a ‘fire-proof’ iron-frame, instead of timber and became a blueprint for future mill construction. In addition it was a template for modern skyscraper engineering. It is therefore recognised as one of the most important buildings from the industrial revolution in the world. The Mill, now a Grade 1 listed building, houses a museum and Visitor Centre operated by the Belper North Mill Trust. It is open to the general public and pre-booked groups and educational visits are also welcome.
General Accessibility Information
- Accessible parking available on level, solid car park surface.
- Level access to main entrance.
- Level area available in front of accessible entrance.
- Level threshold over entrance.
- Manoeuvring space available to opening edge of door.
- Lobby area clear of obstacles/ projections.
- Assistance dogs catered for, with water bowl available.
- There is a variety of seating available throughout the venue.
- There is a ‘Carer Goes Free’ and other concessions available.
- There is a suggestion book available.
- Accessible toilet on site.
- The nearest Changing Place toilets are at Shipley Country Park and Lea Green.
- The reception area only serves coffee, tea and biscuits.
- The tables have small tops and splayed legs.
- Flexible furniture is available on site.