The Academy which became Belper Grammar School opened in about 1825, although the present building wasn’t erected until c.1830. Henry Perkins was the original owner, buying the land in 1829 and creating a purpose-built house and school in the Regency style.
By 1842, Perkins had decided to return to his roots in the London area, selling the building for £775 to William Wallis, a cotton hosier who lived nearby. The next headmaster, Robert Applebee, brought his school from Leicester, tenanted the property and opened in 1846/7.
By 1871, William Anthony was running the school, buying the building from Wallis in 1872. By 1891 he had renamed it the Collegiate School. The 1901 census is the first to describe it as a ‘grammar school’, by then run by Sefton Brooke from the Isle of Man. George Mellor Wright took over in about 1909 until his unexpected death in 1913.
Belper Grammar School closed soon afterwards.
George Brettle and Co Ltd bought the property in 1916, selling it on to Derbel Manufacturing Co Ltd in 1938, for use as a hosiery factory. They in turn sold it to Dalton and Co Ltd in 1984, who rented the property out for use as a factory shop during the remainder of the 1980s. It fell into disrepair but attempts to demolish the building in 2007 were thrown out after a public inquiry. It was completely restored and refurbished by software company Chevin Fleet Solutions and is now fully back in use.