This is part of a heritage trail around Milford, taking in some of the key historic areas. You can find a map of the trail, and information on where to find interpretation boards containing more details on the town and its history at www.derwentvalleymills.org/milford.
This spot provides an ideal view across the valley, taking in a number of features, including (from left to right):
In the distance, on the far left, is neighbouring Duffield, once the main administration centre for this area in medieval times, when Milford was part of a ‘Frith’ (forest).
The mill chimney. This was built early in the 20th century to replace a smaller version.
Milford School is one of the oldest educational buildings in Derbyshire still used for teaching. Built c.1819, it connected to the mill complex (on this side of it, at a lower level) so children could move freely between work and lessons. Under the playground are substantial brick-lined reservoirs which stored water for the mill dye-house in the valley bottom.
Well Lane is behind the school. A terrace of housing for millworkers was built here 1792-96, near where a natural spring emerged. Beyond Well Lane is Sunny Hill, where more housing was provided for millworkers by entrepreneurs, including back-to-back housing affectionately described as ‘The Barracks’, for single workers.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1842 and the datestone can still be seen over the door. It is now a domestic residence.
The Baptist Chapel dates from 1849 and is still a place of worship.
Holy Trinity Church can just be seen, peeking out from lower down this valley side. It was built 1846-48, on land given by the Strutt family, who owned the mills.
Foundry Weir was a natural feature adapted by the Strutts’ company c.1799 to provide a greater flow of water for powering their mills. The stumps across it were the pillar bases for a footbridge across the river that was swept away in the great flood of May 1932.