The Strutt family bought the site in 1781. Advertisements for labour suggest the first mill was not fully operating until 1784. By 1789 there were two mills on the site, one of which was a printing mill. A further mill was constructed in 1793. The buildings on the south side were demolished in 1964, with the exception of the generator shed which is still in use today. The dyeworks and bleaching mill site was on the north side of the road. These were rebuilt and the dyeworks continued operating for two more decades. The modern buildings on the site were cleared for redevelopment in 2021.