The Corn Mill
The Strutts’ flour mill was built c.1820 on the old Makeney Forge site, to replace the Duke of Devonshire’s former corn mill further upstream, which they had demolished. The site had been acquired by Jedidiah Strutt in 1781 with other parts of Milford, including the mill sites on the opposite bank of the river.
The mill was operated by the Fletcher brothers in the early part of the 20th century.
The current building on the site, formerly a garden centre but now used as a gym, replaced the corn mill.