Test your knowledge of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site!
1. Which Derwent Valley Mill complex comprises four mills: West Mill, Long Mill, Middle Mill and East Mill?
2. Which Mill is being redeveloped and will, hopefully, be re-opened later this year and will be called the Museum of Making?
3. In which Derwent Valley Mill can you experience the atmosphere of a working historic cotton mill and explore a roomful of bobbins?
4. Which Derwent Valley Mill was adapted to produce cotton and wool yarns and is still producing high quality knitwear?
5. What is the name of the historic canal boat which, in normal times, takes visitors for trips on the Cromford Canal?
6. What is the name of the railway workshops which originally linked the Cromford Canal and the Cromford and High Peak Railway?
7. What is the name of the street where Richard Arkwright built the first ever ‘industrial’ housing for his millworkers?
8. Which famous children’s author – A Traveller in Time – was born and brought up at Castle Top Farm, which overlooks the Derwent Valley at Cromford?
9. What is the name of the world’s first ‘Cotton Mill Town’?
10. Who created the Belper River Gardens in the early 1900s?
11. In which Derbyshire village would you find this sign? I wonder what the punishment was!
12. Who absconded to the USA in 1789 after working for Jedediah Strutt, and set up a cotton mill in Pawtucket, New England?
13. Darley Park used to be the extended grounds of which Derby Mansion?
14. What’s missing from Heage Windmill in this photo – I don’t think there was much flour milling go on then?
15. What was Willersley Castle used for during the Second World War?
16. Don’t you just love Derbyshire villages – they have the weirdest things just waiting to be discovered by visitors. Do you know where this is, and what it is known as? What did it do?
17. Where can you see this machine in operation and do you know what it’s called?
18. What is this, who invented it, and where can it be seen in the Derwent Valley? (when we’re all able to get out and about again!)
19. Where is this plaque?
20. Where was this and what was it used for?
21. Where is this?
22. Where is this?
23. This road has an interesting name – but where is it?
24. What was this building used for and where is it?
Answers: No cheating!