Running until the end of 2020, the Derwent Valley Mills Great Place Scheme is a programme of activities which is the next step in engaging people with the uniqueness of our Great Place.
We’re proud to have been awarded this funding as one of 16 Great Place Schemes in England. Great Place is a pilot scheme which is a partnership between the Heritage Lottery Fund, Arts Council England and supported by Historic England.
The programme will use the Derwent Valley Mills’ industrial heritage and spirit of innovation and making to inspire creative activities which enable people to connect and communicate with the culture and heritage at the heart of this historically significant place.
There will be a range of opportunities for people to experience, enjoy and be inspired by arts, culture and heritage in the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site.
A key element of the programme will also be to persuade local councils, civic organisations and businesses to invest in and put culture at the heart of their thinking.
We will celebrate the successful work of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Partnership since inscription on the UNESCO World Heritage List in December 2001. We will champion its place as the only World Heritage Site in the East Midlands.
Our Vision Statement
By 2020, arts, culture and heritage will be central in shaping the social, capital and economic future of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site and will inspire and enable people to have a sense of pride in and belonging to it.
By working together we can:
- Encourage people to explore the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site by using arts and culture to investigate, listen, explain and inspire
- Build an understanding of a broader range of connections to and interests in our heritage to reflect the past, present and future of our landscape, buildings and communities
- Enable local organisations to work with artists, students, university researchers and community groups to explore the connections between people, our heritage buildings, social change and the rural landscape
- Be a great example for the 16 Great Place pilot schemes in England.
We will work with many organisations within the Derwent Valley. Our work is guided and supported by:
- Accessible Derbyshire
- Amber Valley Borough Council
- Arts Derbyshire
- Darley Abbey Mills
- Derby City Council
- Derbyshire County Council
- Derbyshire Dales District Council
- Derby Museums
- Marketing Peak District and Derbyshire
- New Art Exchange
- John Smedley Ltd
- The Arkwright Society
- University of Derby
- University of Nottingham
Find out more about the individual projects here.